Posted - 11/25/2005 : 15:18:43
Originally posted by duci
Belene delayed by Greens 23 November 2005
Environmental groups have succeeded in challenging the Bulgarian government on the planning process for the Belene nuclear power plant.
No to nuclear reactor EPR, Yes to energy alternatives
Despite a huge nuclear overcapacity and even though it is becoming urgent to develop a new energy consumption management and invest in renewable energy, the French Government has asked EDF to build a new nuclear reactor, EPR (European Pressurized Reactor), in Flamanville (Manche/ Normandy). The French nuclear energy lobby is trying to brush aside any type of alternative by presenting the public with a fait accompli and by imposing the substitution of existing capacities for EPRs (European Pressurized Reactor) in the future.
However, it is obvious that choosing EPR is a wrong decision from all
- Energy : France doesn’t need a big centralized electrical production capacity for the next decades. Nuclear energy represents only 15% of French
final energy consumption and 3% of the world’s. It is not a solution to reverse climate change either.
- Economy : this extremely expensive project (billions of euros) will delay the necessary redeployment of the French industry without addressing its difficulties.
- Social aspects : the increasing demand for renewable energy will help create many more jobs (up to 5 times more) and will be more adapted to the
future than nuclear energy. For the same investment, a wind power program would lead to twice the amount of electricity production, for instance.
- Environment : EPR is not providing any response to the safety, security and waste management problems which will burden future generations.
- Because we refuse the perpetuation of nuclear threat on the planet ;
- Because we deny the French nuclear lobby the right to impose a new reactor on us (French people and the rest of the world) ;
- Because we reject the confusion between state service to the public
(“service public d’état”) and lobbying ;
- Because we know this useless investment will end up as a burden on consumers and future generations in France and elsewhere;
Because we want a future made of clean and renewable energies ;[/*]
Together, let’s say NO to the EPR !
We sign the Call against the nuclear reactor EPR and we join for the Cherbourg anti-EPR rally (*) of April 15th - 16th, 2006 . This rally will also be an opportunity to commemorate the Chernobyl 20th anniversary together.
(*) Gathering on the initiative of the Regional Collective of Normandy and West of France "EPR, no thanks, neither somewhere else, nor here! " and of the french Network " Go out of the nuclear power" (Réseau “Sortir du nucléaire”).
NGOs, groups, personalities, trade unions, political parties, send your signature quickly :
- By mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax : 00 33 4 72 07 70 04
Groups : sign and don’t forget to specify your country.
Famous people and personalities (scientists, artists, politicians...) : please sign your full name and specify your precise title.
You must be logged in to see this link.
Prof.Dr. D. Ciurchea